As people around the world get ready to participate in the Global Earth Exchange on June 22, we like to remind everyone that this event is all about reconnecting people with place. It’s about taking a new look at surroundings you might ordinarily have dismissed as ugly or depressing. It’s about finding something unexpected there. And it’s about making a gift for the place from things the place itself offers you.
There’s no such thing as “doing it right.” And there are…
…10 ways you can’t do it wrong!
1. All you have to do is show up.
2. You don’t need training.
3. Anything you do will make a difference.
4. It’s okay if it’s just you and a friend—or just you and the Earth.
5. Everything you need to have the experience is already there—except a camera.
6. A place is “wounded” if you feel sad about it.
7. If you think you don’t know how to listen to the land, you do. Just be present, look around, and tune in to your feelings.
8. Whatever you feel is appropriate, even if you feel nothing.
9. Sharing stories? You noticed something in this place. What was it?
10. Make a gift of beauty for the place: Make the RadJoy Bird out of materials you find at the place. And/or: sing, dance, say a prayer, jump, sit, cry, shout, laugh, make a sculpture out of trash, make a circle, make a mudpie, hug a friend, hug a tree, drum, chant, walk in circle, make a human pyramid, do a cartwheel, make a mandala, write a poem, play, make prayer flags, make music…
There’s still time to sign up on our website and receive a hand-painted RadJoy flag. And even if you don’t sign up, you can still send us the photo and story of your Global Earth Exchange! Check this blog next week or visit our Facebook page for details.
- Frangs Whale: Janet Frangs
MORE RADICAL JOY REVEALED
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Radical Joy Revealed is a weekly message of inspiration about finding and making beauty in wounded places.